This is something a lot of people hate to do but absolutely need and that's including me. Half the time all I want to do is eat (not counting calories) and then sleep. The other half, I want to spend reading, blogging or watching television. Unfortunately, life doesn't come that easy. You want something, you have to work hard to get it. Exercise is not all bad even though it may be considered stressful depending on the type of exercise and the individual carrying out the exercise. There are different types of exercise options open to many, to suit your body and needs as an individual. There are also different stages, if you are just a beginner. Click here to find out more.
Something good about exercising is that it has some pretty awesome health benefits. Let's check them out;
- Helps you to lose weight: I mean that very obvious. This is the most reason why a lot of people bother with exercising at all. I have absolutely nothing about plus sized women. 80 - 90% of people in Nigeria are plus size and sexy too. Infact, in Nigeria, that was the in-thing (still is) until Agbani Darego won the miss World contest back in 2001 and gave the skinny ones like me some hope. *LOL*. That said, being within your recommended body mass index (BMI) has its uses.
- It boosts your mood: When you exercise, you feel a lot lighter and sexy even. It increases your self esteem and ultimately your mood. Yet to see someone with a good esteem who is always moody. This is not to say self esteem is only elevated in skinny people. Or lack of exercise is the only cause of depression. Just that exercising helps to boost both.
- It protects the cardiovascular system: Just like every other part of the body, the heart needs to be exercised to prevent it from failing. The is because, the heart is also a muscle. It also reduces the amount of total cholesterol in the blood (especially the LDLs - that's the bad cholesterol). A good, functioning cardiovascular system, helps prevent or control (as the case may be) diseases like hypertension, stroke myocardial infarction, diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, dyslipidaemias e.tc.
- It reduces stress: My post on "how to reduce stress" already said as much. This is achieved using endorphins produced during a workout. This way it helps you relax and allay any anxiety.
- It increases mental alertness and memory: Exercise has been shown to help in the formation of new brain cells.
- It prolongs life: Well this is no rocket science. If you sleep well, have little or no stress, have a good heart, are free from all the afore-mentioned diseases, Death can only come prematurely as an accident or according to God's plan. (that's excluding starving to death in the bid to be skinny oh!),
- It protects our body tissues: It protects our bones, and muscles by making them stronger and preventing easy wear and tear. This helps to prevent unnecessary falls and fractures.
- It reduces pain: Exercise produces endorphins which help to reduce pain. This may be helpful to patients constantly on pain medications.
- It helps addicts with overcoming their addiction easily: this is because, when you have your mind and body focused on something tasking, you may just forget another. It happens to most of us. Like me, I may be wrapped with reading and totally forget to eat. It funny right. It's just the law of distraction. The brain also releases dopamine in response to exercise, sex, alcohol, e.t.c. Exercising helps to override the cravings of an addiction too.
- It increases your energy: How? you ask. As we are all aware that you get tired immediately after exercising. Now look at it this way, Continuing your workouts begin to make things that used to tire you out easily seem easy. The first time you go for a long brisk walk, you are panting on your way back and can barely use the stairs. With time, you begin to realize that you can go for the walk and run up the stairs without breaking a sweat.
- It improves our sex life: How can it not? you are relaxed, you have lots of energy to spare, and you feel absolutely great and sexy with yourself. Encourage your partner to exercise too so you can both have a blast!
- It helps you sleep better: why not? when you are relaxed and happy with who you are?
Have fun exercising..... And you don't have to do it alone. Get a partner or group for motivation.