A few times, even though I’m not a relationship expert, I’ve had course to write some articles, mostly with my sister (she’s the one into all that relationship stuff). You can check them out here, here and here. I think I know a bit of what I and most people want in relationships and what we do not. Some are just in between, since no one is ‘perfect’. So, with this intro, I’d really love your thoughts on this conversation I had with a young lady in my consulting room.
- Me: Hello, good afternoon, how are you doing?
- Lady (Ly): I’m fine doctor, thank you
- Me: So how may I help you today?
- Ly: I want to carry out some tests, no I want an x-ray done.
- Me: Okay, why do you want an x-ray and for what part of your body?
- Ly: I just want x-ray of my back and chest.
- Me: Alright, but you haven’t told me why yet. Did you fall down?
- Ly: Okay, okay, my boyfriend beat me up and I don’t have any pains or anything, I just want him to spend his money.
My jaw dropped. I didn’t quite understand her reasons, but it was nothing new to me. Countless times, I have seen women assaulted by their spouses show up in the ER with black eye, some severely injured and they still protect and defend the actions of their abusers and I can’t just wrap my head around it. Even though I haven’t seen one, I have heard of cases where men beat their partners to dead. I keep wondering why these women keep staying. Could it be desperation, financial security or what?
Please anyone, I need to know